A heavy dessert and pudding made with egg yolks, sugar, ground cinnamon, and grated coconuts, cocada amarela is a popular dessert in Angola. The name, which literally translates to “yellow coconut candy”, draws from the large quantities of egg yolks used, that give the dessert its yellow hue.
- 1&1/2 cups Sugar
- 3 cups Water
- 3 Whole Cloves
- 2 cups grated unsweetened coconut meat
- 9 Egg Yolks
- 3/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon to Taste
- Crack the coconut open. Cut it in smaller pieces, scoop out the meat and grate about half of it.
- Combine the sugar, water, and cloves in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. When the sugar is entirely dissolved, stop stirring and allow to continue boiling for a couple of minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low. Remove the cloves. Add the grated coconut and mix well. Continue to simmer, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Separately, beat the egg yolks until they thicken. Stir in about ½ cup of the syrup and mix, making sure that the egg yolks don’t curdle. Pour the mixture into the saucepan with the remaining syrup and stir thoroughly until reaching a homogeneous pudding texture.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently until the pudding is thick enough. Serve the pudding into individual serving bowls.
- Serve warm or place in refrigerator to serve cold. Sprinkle with ground cinnamon at time of serving.
Recipe & Image Credit : 196 Flavors
Hey Chef , If you have your version of Cocada Amarela recipe. Please submit it here