It usually served hot, spread on a french baguette with harissa sauce and sprinkled with cumin on top. Chickpea flour is
Karantita has different names, like karane, guarantita, kalantita and quaratita.
- 250 grams Chickpea Flour
- 3 cups Water
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Egg
- 4 tbsp Harissa
- 2 large French baguettes
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Grease baking tray.
- In a bowl combine chickpea flour, salt, pepper, cumin; gradually pour in water; add oil.
- Whisk the egg in a small bowl, and then pour over chickpea batter.
- Transfer batter to the tray and bake for 35-40 minutes or until top is golden.
How to Serve:-
- Slice the Karantita into Square pieces.
- Cut each baguette into 1/4’s, then split open & remove a little of the inner bread.
- Spread the bottom of each 1/4 of baguette with 1/2 tbsp of the harissa & lay the karantita on top. Sprinkle with a little cumin then cover with the top of the baguette – to make a sandwich.
Image Credit:- Thecoffeebreak