Nadru Yakhni is a very popular recipe from Kashmir. Lotus stems are called nadru in Kashmir. It is a very traditional recipe of the Kashmiri Pandit community. Nadru yakhni is a very simple curry made with flavourful spices/ garam masala and fresh yogurt. Addition of turmeric is optional. This nadru yakhni taste awesome with steamed rice or jeera rice and Naan
To Boil Together
- 2 cups Lotus Stem/ Kamal kakdi sliced ( use tender ones )
- 4 Green Chilies Slit
- 2 Green cardamom
- 2 Black cardamom
- 4 Cloves
- 1/2 inch Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Fennel powder
- 1/4 tsp Shahi Jeera
For the gravy
- 2 cups Yogurt
- 1 tsp Gram Flour
- 1/2 tsp Ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp Fennel Powder
- 1/3 tsp Cardamom powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/3 tsp Turmeric
- 3 tbsp Fresh Coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp Ghee (Clarified Butter)
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- Wash and scrape tender lotus stems and then slice them thinly.
- Soak them in lukewarm water for 20 minutes to loosen any mud and dirt inside the holes and then wash well.
- Take 1 tsp ghee in a pressure cooker and add the sliced lotus steams and whole green and black cardamom, cloves, shah jeera, cinnamon and fennel powder(all the ingredients listed in -to boil)
- Add 2.5 cup water and pressure cook for 5-6 whistles on medium heat or till cooked properly and become soft.
- In a bowl beat the yogurt and 1 tsp gram flour(optional), and then add in the pressure cooker
- Mix 1/2 cup water, salt, turmeric, ginger powder, cardamom powder,1/2 tsp fennel powder, mix and add in the cooker.
- Now cook the curry on low heat for 20 minutes (without putting the cooker lid), keep stirring to avoid curdling.
- Heat ghee in a small pan, add cumin and asafoetida When start crackling add Kashmiri chili powder and immediately pour over the boiling gravy.
- Cook for 2 minutes and add chopped fresh coriander.
Recipe & Image Credit: Urvi M